Friday, December 01, 2006

Questioningly//I Know There's An Answer

I feel like pointing out that I like to name my post subjects with song titles, especially since I haven't been doing shuffle playlists lately.

I talked to my doctor on Wednesday. I was really down in the dumps that day, thinking about all the people I know who are pregnant, especially my cousin who was delivered that day. I waited around for what seemed like forever after leaving my number with his office. When he called, I asked him many of the questions from my last post:

Do you know of any links between breastfeeding and high TSH levels?
He said that breastfeeding causes the body to have higher metabolic needs and that can throw you thyroid out of whack. I didn't see anything on the net about this, so I'm not exactly convinced. Mark, on the other hand, knows nothing about this stuff and thinks that anything thet the doctor says is the gospel. I feel like he's not taking my concerns seriously, and that really hurts.
What are the chances that cutting out these 1-2 feedings will make me ovulate?
He said that that may just be enough to push my body, but of course, he can't say.
Is the birth control pill we talked about the "mini pill"/progestin-only? Is it triphasic?
No. He feels a combination pill will work the best to "choreograph" my hormones, although he did say I could get a low-dose estrogen pill. He prescribed Loestrin, but my insurance covers the generic, Microgestin1/20, which is not triphasic, but only has 20 mcg of ehtinyl estradiol and 1 mg of norethindrone acetate. I have not started taking them yet. I should take a pregnancy test, just in case, tomorrow morning, or maybe this afternoon when Mark gets off work, before I start them. LactMed, the grestest website ever to see whether drugs will interfere with breastfeeding or cross over, says that my milk quality may decline a little, but it appears that the Manling should be safe. I'm just worried about other side effects, like insanity, weight gain, acne, and further loss of libido, since it's actually starting to come back a little now. Thank goodness for Astroglide!
How long will I be on this pill before I can stop taking them and start trying to conceive? He said a minimum of 3 months, with a maximum of 6 months. I need to have 3 regular periods while on the pill. I wonder since that brand is used for shorter, lighter periods, and I typically had short and light periods already, if I will have no period whatsoever. I should probably asked him what regular periods meant. He aslo said I may have some mid-cycle spotting during the first few months. I wonder if that would negate that cycles as a normal one?
If that doesn't work, what is my next step?
I didn't ask this. Kinda afraid of the answer.
Should I prescribed thyroid replacement hormone?
He said no, not until we hear the next thyroid test results will we even consider treatment. He said he doesn't like to rely on just 1 TSH test. I can be retested in 6-8 weeks, with 8 weeks being preferable. Since that is 2 months away, and I could potentially only be on the pill for 3 months, I decided to go ahead and get the prescription. If I waited to get retested and my thyroid was normal, and I was still not ovulating, I'd have to start the 3 month regimen then so I thought I'd get 2 months out of the way while I wait.
I saw treatment is may not commonly be done for TSH less than 10.
He said he felt that 7 was not a high number, and I told him I read on several sites that pregnancy could not be sustained with TSH levels over 1.9. He said he didn't necessarily agree with that, so I have decided to drop it until my next test results were back.
What thyroid test was done in November 2005? What were those results? He did not have my full chart in front of him because he was at the hospital, so he was not sure. I can't find any paperwork from that test. All I know is that at my 6-8 week post-partum check-up, he had felt a potential lump on my thyroid so he had a blood test drawn. It was ok, but I don't know if it was a TSH test or not.
Should I have a thyroid function test (measures T3 and T4)? He said that T3 results can be "variable", so I will have a Free T4 test as well as a repeat of the TSH test. I can even come in and have my blood drawn a few days in advance so at my actual appointment we can look at the results.
Can I also get a thyroid antibodies test? I did not ask. I thought I'd wait to get the results of the above tests done first.
Should I start charting my basal temp.? He said I could. I know that the pill prevents ovulation, so I don't know how charting will help. I'll have to look into that.

Yesterday was interesting because I hosted my first playdate ever. Six moms and kids, ranging from 6 - 16 months came over to my house. I had such anxiety beforehand but it seemed to go pretty well. Two of the moms I had never met, but the presence of the other 4, of which 2 were good friends of mine, really made it easier. And one of the moms I'm hoping will be my friend. She seemed pretty awesome, especially for being 9-1/2 months pregnant. She even breastfed while pregnant up until the 2nd trimester. She crochets, too. She's my hero. Hopefully she liked the Manling and I as well . First dates are always odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home