Sunday, January 15, 2006

Birth Story Part II

Stage Two
My next contraction didn't feel any more intense like I thought it would; however, I still had that feeling like I had to push something out of me that second or I would die. It seems like everything after my water breaking took only about 30-45 minutes so things were really progressing fast. I was definitely very fortunate in that aspect. W. hadn't left my side since I entrenched myself on the bed with the "gottapoop" sensation, and after checking my cervix when my water broke, started paging the desk to get Dr. M. there immediately. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain, which had reverted to lizard-stage to cope with the pressure, I understood that to mean that I was going to pop that baby out really soon. It seemed like my contractions were coming one right after the other but I think that was because I still wasn't relaxing very well between them. I asked for drugs (only once more and I'd get them) but only as a means of making Mark realize how much pain I was feeling; I knew that at this far along I wouldn't be allowed to get any of those fine narcotics because they'd affect the baby.

Finally, it seemed, Dr. M. came into the room and put on his scrubs. As soon as he had, he came over and fisted me as well, although I could've told him I was definitely ready to push. And push we did. Meaning I attempted to hold both of my legs up in the air, while simultaneously holding my breath, pushing, and hollering. I wasn't so good at it. In birth class, we had practiced but I never did it at home. I was great at hollering, which got me immediate chastisement from W., Dr. M, and Mark. So W. and Mark both pushed back on the legs while I did the pushing. I will never think constipation is hard ever again - pushing was defintely way more challenging. During one "rest" between contractions, I asked how big the head was and asked what my chances were that I would tear. I then told Dr. M. that I'd take my chances on tearing, knowing the baby was not a giant, and opted out of the episiotomy.

It seemed to take forever for the head to even get close to crowning, but I'm told that it happened after about three pushes. I was convinced that the baby was out by this point but instead was told that if I reached down I could feel the top of his head. I really didn't want to, but I did, only to feel this very weird sensation. It felt at first impression as if I has a few extra sets of labia, and then as though the entire Rocky Mountains were sticking out of my vagina but covered in hair. I'm assuming that was the skull plates all compressed. It wasn't thrilling in the least and all I wanted to do was get my baby out.

Birth
Two more pushes or so later, and the Manling was born. I didn't feel any sensation as he passed through the birth canal and out into the world as I thought I would, neither physical (except intense pressure) nor emotional. I think I was in shock - I've never had that intense pain before and I was too exhausted to even feel relief. I laid there just trying to get my breath back to normal to really even think any thoughts. I think I only acknowledged any of it by saying, "Don't forget to cut the cord, Mark." It wasn't until they wrapped the Manling up in a blanket and put him on my chest that I really understood that I had had a baby. And then I felt amazed at what had happened and started feeling some love towards this little person all my own.

10/3/2005
6 lbs 13.9 oz
18" long
12:32 p.m.

Afterbirth and other stuff
This next part is definitely not in any chronological order:
I had to get several stitches because I did indeed tear. Maybe 6 or 60.... some were at the perineum area and I also had a few on each side of my labia. I remembered hearing somewhere that it took a while until your body expels the placenta but I think immediately after the Manling was born and Mark cut the cord that Dr. M. pulled the placenta out by the cord. It was a delightfully non-pressure event and felt warm and painless. Mark says my memory of Dr. M. pulling it our hand over hand like pulling on a rope is wrong but that's how I experienced it. Dr. M. showed Mark all kinds of stuff about the placenta while I was lying there recouping and the Manling was getting checked out. I remember trying to look over and verify he had ten fingers and toes and genitals all in the right places and then just closing my eyes until they put him on me. Manling latched on right away and started breastfeeding and that was a relief. He had had an excellent Apgar score of 9.9. I could not believe I went through this whole process with no drugs. It was amazing to myself and to Mark. W. and Dr. M. also congratulated me for making it to my goal.

After some period of time I was allowed to get up and shower in that great Jacuzzi tub, even though I felt like Carrie from Steven King as I bled profusely everywhere. And then the fancy mesh panties to hold up the ungodly enormous menstrual pads - definitely very chic. I ate voraciously and then got moved to our recovery room, pushing the Manling's bassinet thing as I walked down the hall. I felt great, just very, very tired, and took a nap while Mark accompanied Manling to the nursery for his first bath. We spent that night in the hospital, feeding, changing the meconium- aka black tar-filled diapers, and in Mark's case getting hosed down. We were also interrupted about a thousand times by all the staff. When I woke up the next morning, I was dying to be released from the hospital , and we finally got the go ahead about 5:30p.m.

And that concludes my birth story. I am so thankful I had a healthy baby, a relatively uneventful pregnancy, and a complication-free and drug-free delivery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home